A case is real or fake managerial problems, dilemmas, and solutions to situations calling for a written account. Case analysis concepts and issues and events is an exercise in a critical understanding of the causes.
Langdell's case method legal education by teaching in 1871 as an alternative to the lecture method was introduced. Later, in 1908 Harvard University founded its business school, it was adopted by them in their classrooms.
Types of Cases
A case a) theoretical or b) may be factual.
Case studies that clearly read and theoretical concepts as a discipline management, marketing, human realtions, communication studies, and so on are meant to be educational case studies are. They concretise abstract concepts of discipline are used as examples.
Interplay of ideas, a way of life among those involved in the case, said conditions, actions, contacts, and is presented as a conflict.
The verbal, non verbal and written communication uses the theory of the dynamics of effective communication displays.
Case studies that describe an organization's experience and efforts to overcome various problems and situations described are real cases. These cases are based on facts.
They with full knowledge of facts and data management of critical issues were present.
His analysis is the main problem, alternative solutions, and finally to identify the best solution requires a systematic approach.
Such factual case studies of corporate management of any functional marketing, production or human relations, as problems related to the field project.
A factual case study is an important aspect of the problem or event in its entirety offers a variety of reasons is.
Requirements for the Case Analysis
1. Through knowledge of related topics
2. Analytical ability - go deep into the case and find answers to questions like.
3. Capacity for critical thinking - to think critically is to see reality clearly go beyond the ability of the underlying conflict, and the statement that our eyes meet. The question of an attitude of mind and the foundation of our faith in them after the investigation is to accept things.
4. To evaluate the potential - it is a part of critical thinking. Accuracy or inaccuracy of our view of things when we decide to set up exercise, we are being evaluated.
5. Ability to guess - you end up with a certain perspective to be able to view the entire program.
Management case study method is mainly composed of the options available to the problem or a case manager to be a more appropriate or a close association with the problem and is valid in a given situation, which choose to resolve involves the decision.
The aim of case study method
The main objectives of the methods of the case are as follows:
1. It develops and enhances the trust between managers solve problems effectively.
2. It required from them by developing skills and talents trains managers to make decisions. To how they identify a problem, analyze it, develop alternative solutions and finally to solve the problem.
3. Managers and how to handle the data and information to solve this problem, learn to use various aspects available. It encourages managers to decide factual.
4. The concrete decisions and actions of management in the translation of theoretical and conceptual knowledge and scientific training provides managers organize. They are familiar with real life situations.
5. The main objective of getting them widely variable conditions, exposed to different sets made by the managers is to broaden the horizons of knowledge.
Case analysis in the process of writing includes three key elements:
1. Identify the problem situation
2. Analyze and evaluate the problem situation
3. Make recommendations for resolving the problem.
According to the Harvard system, the following case analysis includes five steps:
1. Defined the central issue involved in the case
2. Select the related fields of view
3. Consideration of related fields to analyze and test their relative importance.
4. Other possibilities survey
5. Draw final conclusions
Raymond T. J. Schnelle and case analysis, ie two scholars have contributed to the writing.
A case analysis process
First, case analysis requires you to understand the case and its context. The organizational level all the factors, which affect working conditions and performance levels may be responsible for including a comprehensive study. The first thing, therefore, aims, objectives and organizational structures to know.
1. Case studies - Understand and down important issues, facts and ideas note.
2. Identify the problem - now the most important thing for you to identify key problems and issues and to have the ability to discover relationships among the factors responsible.
3. Prepared in precise terms the problem - defining the problem.
4. Identify the cause of the problem - the state relevant facts and to establish logical connection between them. Also go to any statement of assumptions.
5. Options development - suggest alternative answers / solutions to problems or questions raised in the case.
6. Evaluate options - evaluated in terms of its purpose and relevance to the decision to be taken in each solution. Compare the results and decide on the best course of action recommended by you.
7. Work out a plan of implementation - to develop action plans.
Writing a Case Analysis - Structure
Written analysis of the main parts
1. Case Title - purpose / central problem shows up.
2. Details of the problem - state the purpose of case study and proposed solutions to what is being achieved through.
3. Case - the problem / the whole situation is a very brief description of the various issues to be examined to provide a reference.
4. Scope of analysis - clearly define the range of analytical study of your case. Tell me what aspects of the case being analyzed in our study are.
5. Alternative solutions and their evaluation - all the suggested answers / solutions entirely on the company's goals and objectives should be considered.
6. The best solution - to recommend solutions. Management or related field is thought that direct you to select the solution to a case under relevant accommodate all your answers with those principles.
7. Conclusion - Industry-based case studies, problem status of an action plan / implementation work is out to overcome. Recommended to complete the action as its feasibility, feasibility, costs and profits for the company is analyzed in terms of. Limit or any other underlying weaknesses in the implementation plan should be discussed clearly and carefully considered and further indicated as a point.
8. Executive Summary - Mention the following - problem, possible solutions, the best solution, recommended action plan, company benefits
Executive summary help decision makers analyze the problem and the case without going through is to know its solution. It is placed at the beginning of written analysis.
Characteristics of a good case study
Should have a good case study of a problem rather than around a key management issue centered around personal dilemmas.
This is a simple and familiar environment to use the extraordinary problems should exist. Problems in an interesting way to avoid a cut and dry approach should be heard by.
Case narrative should be a good mix of relevant and should not so important facts such as the participants in a sieve and give a chance to evaluate information.
A good case should provide solutions to problems.
Case study solution for writing titles
1. It should describe the proposed solution to the need to get through - the problem. A top story if not any suggestions.
2. Case - in the main story / words and phrases should be included.
3. Range limit - limit should be specified under which the case is scheduled to be resolved.
4. Possible solutions and their evaluation:
A solution, properties, etc. fault
5. Select the best solution
6. Management principle - in short theoretical solution / Good solution to get used to enunciate principles.
7. Implementation plan - Convert a logical plan of action selected the best solution.
8. Response: Plan well-defined steps to get a response and if possible, in case / option plan an emergency response monitoring results show the changes during the implementation of the scheme, consider the expected results form.
9. Conclusion - the best solution than the problem was and action plan based on how it is resolved by the briefs.
10. Executive Summary - cases, possible solutions, the best solution as the final step and write objectives and its implementation at the beginning of this report is the place.
Benefits of case study method
O relevant information
O evaluate the facts
O Making assumptions
O hard analytical skills
O decision making capabilities
O managerial concepts
O generate creativity
O expansion of the role playing experience
O understand the managerial problems
O Slow speed zero risk activity
O different situations
Apply to management alone o
More interesting o
O teaches team spirit
O Improves efficiency
O improved communication skills
O Time Management
O reading habit Inculcates.
O learning is interesting and challenging.
Case Law Limitations
1. In a real situation, a person must live with the problem, but this case is not related to law.
2. Case law is a reality, but no way is a living reality.
3. Time and a lot of thought is often necessary to develop a case study.
4. Trained faculty members always lead to the cases and help students to develop skills to analyze issues are not available.
5. In one case, financial, behavioral, such as marketing focus on certain class of problems is designed. Other issues exist in the organization so it can be ignored.
6. In a final aspect of realism, namely the lack of implementation of decisions.
7. One is that decisions should not forget is easier said than done.
8. As an educational tool case study method using the case to participate want to know the right answer.
9. Many times, no one, try to copy the last analysis the case without putting students and take an unearned advantage.